Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Surrounded on three sides by...


....wooden shelves of clean white linen ironed and neatly folded,
my own crisp starched uniform felt
tight and unforgiving.
The only moisture, 
the tears on my face.
Confronting my fears of the
nakedness of strangers and
enormity of being a nurse,
I faced two more long years
stretching ahead of me 
from 1966 to January 27, 1969.
43 years ago today,
I officially earned the black band 
that would become a part of history.
Tonight the linen closet has 
Jersey sheets rolled up and blue terry cloth facecloths 
stuffed in large laundry bags,
towels and pyjamas folded loosely 
on wire racks of a shiny metal linen cart.
Tonight the linen closet is just another room.
Tonight the stiff uniform and cap are things of the past.
Sickness, pain and yes sometimes even death 
are unwaveringly present.
Tonight I am grateful for having dried my tears and
stepped steadily into a very healing journey.


“Nursing encompasses an art, a humanistic orientation, 
a feeling for the value of the individual, and an intuitive 
sense of ethics, and of the appropriateness of action taken.”
~ Myrtle Aydelotte

4 comments:

Kate Hersberger Moving forward Looking for the Joy! said...

You go girl!!!

Susan Ward said...

Thanks kate! It's been pretty awesome most of the time.
xo

Mayu Helwer said...

Thank you for sharing Susan. My nursing 'history' is about to begin in three months! I feel grateful that I have someone like you to look up to:)

Mayu

Susan Ward said...

Thank you Mayu. You have no idea how much your words mean to me.
Susan