Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Nursing Instructors: Planting Seeds, Fostering Growth

A Nurse Log - Life to Life
Knowledge to Knowledge
Florence Nightingale, a pioneer in establishing
nursing protocols
nursing schools
could be considered one of the first known nursing instructors.

Nurses training would possibly be 
non-existent without nursing instructors.
Caring, an emotional response to 
need 
hurt
is developed long before nursing school.
How to deliver care, while addressing
unhealthy emotional involvement vs healthy personal boundaries
can be a difficult lesson to learn and to teach.

Nursing instructors have
‘been there - done that’.
Have the ability to 
share their knowledge,
developing
minds
hands
hearts
that are ready to learn.

Patience with their students,
love of nursing,
determination to pass on
details and depth of nursing
has encouraged me to
welcome all students nurses
where ever I work,
as did other ‘floor nurses’ as 
nurse fledglings entered 
the world of patient care.

Four pivotal lessons for me were:
 - How to wrap a tensor bandage in a smooth figure eight, lining up the overlap precisely in a line of V’s (Miss Wise)

 - When I asked my instructor why the RN’s didn’t have to do the same things that we were required to do, the pleasant answer I received was:  “Remember that when you’re an RN” (Mrs Ritchie)

- ‘Isn’t it exciting?!” as part of an opening lecture on sociology.  (Mrs. Duthie)

- When I asked if I would have to leave nursing because of newly diagnosed epilepsy, the kind answer I received was:  “Not unless it affects your nursing.”  (Miss Linnell)

Naming all the other nursing instructors both
in the classroom or
at the bedside
is not possible in this space;
you know who you are if you teach nursing.
I am incredibly grateful to each of you for showing me, and all other nurses, the way of nursing.

Nursing is an art: and if it is to be made an art, it requires an exclusive 
devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter’s or sculptor’s work; for 
what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with 
having to do with the living body,the temple of God’s spirit?  It is one of 
the Fine Arts:  I had almost said, the finest of the Fine Arts.”
~ Florence Nightingale

No comments: