Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

From Linen Closet to Writing Desk


Such a rapid 44 years!
Almost five decades!
It is really quite amazing.

As a young nurse that came 
from the linen closet
to this writing desk,
stopping along the way
in hospitals and bedsides,
homes and detox facilities,
I have gathered bits and pieces of knowledge 
about the human spirit,
it’s tenacity and fragility.

My own spirit has grown stronger 
passing through the years,
built with the warmth and acceptance shown to me
by passing family, friends and strangers.
When a whispery inner voice assures me 
of some nonexistent failing, 
each of those times, good or bad, tell the truth.

Today, working with young nurses,
watching younger generations of family and friends
just beginning their own amazing journeys,
there is still much room for me to grow and learn,
chasing my own curiosity, with
capability to continue my own amazing trek.

“You can learn new things at any time in your life if 
you’re willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to 
like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.”
~ Barbara Sher

No comments: