Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Job Satisfaction


A lovely - and usual - day at Detox and, to my mind - nursing at it’s finest and most basic.

Even time in the afternoon for an educational session about
the neuropharmacology of a frequently used medication.

So why is it that now that I’m home for a bit
I feel as though I’ve just run a race,
whizzed past the finish line.

There is a phrase that I coined several years ago. 
Before or after an such active nursing day
it resounds in my mind ~ ‘The Soul within the Tasks’

Throughout the day,
within each task, large or small,
there must be a soul connection for
each patient or client
colleagues at all levels.

Truth and integrity the keystones.
Each different personality requires nurses
to weigh in an instant
approach
clinical judgement
solutions to be offered
to participate willingly in care
(and answer insistent telephones)

So at the end of a day,
following the balancing, high wire walking
I guess I’m just plain tired
but very satisfied. 

“Let your soul stand cool and composed 
before a million universes.”
~ Walt Whitman

No comments: