Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Picking Between the Aisles


Comfort food ~ 
anything I could possibly buy.
Aisle after aisle.

Exhaustion from Friday, 
moving into Saturday, 
just the beginning.
Well that exhaustion turned into something relatively minor.
I’m assuming 'tis Friend Flu based on my symptoms.

Now, I’m definitely not asking 
anyone to feel sorry for me
because I’m grateful 
for everything and everyone
available to me
offering helping hands and hearts.

I’m grateful for 
my independent spirit
my ability to exercise that spirit
economically
emotionally
mentally and
spiritually.

Winter time - whether here in Victoria or
on the prairies with icy streets and snow - 
is no picnic when someone is sick - 
even a little bit.

If that someone is
homeless
jobless
dis-spirited
emotionally bankrupt
confronting mental illness
any or all of the above
they’d better be as resourceful as 
that crow picking in the cracks of a sidewalk.

“Generosity is giving more than you can, 
and pride is taking less than you need.”
~ Khalil Gibran

No comments: