Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Comfortably Independent


I’ve been reading more blogs tonight at Epilepsy.com. So many folks out there that have so many different manifestations of this condition! Some concerns that many express are ~
the sudden lack of independence 
losing a driver’s license
being confined to home and neighbourhood, 
employment concerns or a lack of upward movement in employment, 
learning disabilities, especially for the young, despite normal or higher intelligence.
being confronted by different attitudes that shift based on the types of seizures someone has.

I am so fortunate. At different times, I have shared degrees of all of these concerns, but presently am comfortably independent, employed in a job I love and am able to learn effectively. Any negative or judgmental attitudes of others, while they may be annoying, are in fact their attitudes. I am more often presented with questions about my epilepsy or discussion about beliefs about epilepsy.

“Here is the rule to remember in the future when anything 
tempts you to be bitter:  not, ‘This is a misfortune’ 
but ‘To bear this worthily is good fortune.’”
~ Marcus Aurelius

No comments: