Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

One Size Fits All


Gratitude has made up the core of today.
In the past two days, Christmas movies have played,
decorations added to mantle, piano and table
and any other flat surface, truth be known.
Although memories of Christmas’s past play a great part in the why of decorating hearth and home,
another and maybe more important memory is 
preparations for company.
So I busied myself with arrangements
for guests this morning in my tiny garden suite.

Gratitude is the real topic of this conversation.
As I welcomed each of my friends into my home
I was blessed hugs and with unexpected Christmas gifts.
One of them is this real  Christmas tree!
So beautifully tiny that any of my decorations would
bend and break it. 

This date on the calendar was for many years a dreaded date.
Today, this circle of friends clinked Christmas coffee mugs
in honour of my mother, 
then all other mothers (including ourselves), 
then grandmothers (also including most of us)
and great-grandmothers (one of the group!)

Gratitude has no size yet fits perfectly in the
tiniest 
most expansive of spaces
any space inbetween

Gratitude doesn’t belong to anyone or
to any particular group in any of our societies.
Gratitude is often accompanied by laughter and joy; 
but can be delivered with grave sincerity.
Gratitude can be a reality, and ultimately is a choice.
Opportunities to be grateful abound each and every day.

“Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart,
it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.”
~ A.A.Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

No comments: