Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Reposting: “The Information Age, Pregnancy and Epilepsy”


This is a repost from March 3, 2013.  Seems I was not well at that time either!  I would like to think, the virus has given way to full blown allergies to pollen as flowers are hesitatingly coming into bloom here on the Island. When I read this post from last year, I thought it an appropriate repost for this year - maybe only because of the darn virus! But really, I had opened it to update the address and title, listed at the bottom of the page, of the Parkinson and Epilepsy organization, in Victoria with new street and web address.
Thanks for your time!
Susan
~~~~~~~~

This nasty cold virus has given me a lot of time on my hands today and yesterday. My energy level determined my ability for mind browsing (I think that’s called day dreaming) and browsing the world wide web. 

History of women was a direction that I took with my blog post last night. I wanted to know more about the history of epilepsy specific to women, so began to browse epilepsy sites. Pregnancy intrigued me. My sons, that I love so dearly, are both miracles for having survived my epilepsy and I would not trade either of them for the world. They each had a different experience with me, in relation to my epilepsy. One was conceived and carried to term after I had been on medication for about two years.  

The sites that google popped open were full of details about epilepsy, pregnancy, life, medications, and other treatments. It was so much that I felt a certain amount of information overload. I can also say that I felt frightened with some of the details that pertained to my situation so long ago, and that are issues to be dealt with today for other young families.

I’m getting old enough now to say that I have some history behind me and what the roving cursor reminded me of was how little I knew, and was told, about pregnancy and epilepsy in 1970. Not just pregnancy itself, but the possible effects of a seizure on the child. And from there it was a short trip to what would be the potential effects of anticonvulsant drugs (AED) on the child. To my recollection, these things were not discussed with me. I don’t know if anyone even thought about them, which I find rather odd as I was in the middle of nurses training with nurses and doctors all around.

There was definitely no world wide web with it’s present wealth of information in 1970. Now, when I think of all the homes in our communities, I think of the young families where epilepsy may be that not so silent companion. So I would encourage anyone with epilepsy planning a family, or the family of someone with epilepsy, to research pregnancy and epilepsy. I also am aware that not everyone has, or has access to, a computer. However, libraries, schools and universities usually welcome those requiring such services.

Since the initial post of epilepsy information in BC, it has changed - epilepsy has not changed. Contact the BC Epilepsy Society on Google for a provincial phone number and a local phone number for Victoria.

“In pregnancy, there are two bodies, one inside the other. Two people live under one skin......when so much of life is dedicated to maintain our 
integrity as distinct beings, this bodily tandem is an uncanny fact.
~ Joan Raphael-Leff

Author's note:
~ Edited December 03, 2023

~ This information and links are no longer validIn Victoria, a local source of information and support is at the 
Headway (previously Victoria Epilepsy and Parkinson’s Centre)
202-1640 Oak Bay Ave. (previously on Darwin Ave)
Victoria BC V8R 1B2
Phone:  250-475-6677
Email:  help@vepc.ca  (email is unchanged)

No comments: