Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A Bookshop Experience

It would have been so easy. All I wanted was a granola recipe and I knew a good one. Chef Michael Smith had one on the search engine that is a favourite of so many - Google. But the computer has become a go to place holding everything - phone numbers, addresses of all sorts, photographs - now called digital images, recipes, maps - just everything!  The computer and all it’s little computers - laptops, tablets and smartphones - hold a very firm place in everyone’s daily life. And yet for all it’s knowledge and grand data banks, my precious laptop really has little character or personality. (I do hope it won’t crash on me because of what I just keyboarded!!)

I tend to be the most stubborn about things in the morning. Once two o’clock in the afternoon hits, I often start to drag for the rest of the day. This morning I walked to the book store, just a block away to see if, perchance, Chef Michael Smith had one of his cookbooks there. The Fairfield Bookshop sells gently used books - shelves of them. Old books, new books. Fiction, non-fiction. Story books, crafting and knitting books - oh yes and cookbooks! My experience in there, in that tiny world of books became so much more than finding a granola recipe on my laptop.

The slight dusty smell and orderly quietness of well stocked bookshelves. The tinkle of the bell when the door opened to announce a new customer. The proprietess visited with a friend who dropped in while the friend’s husband and two wavy haired dogs waited somewhat impatiently for the visit to end. 

The granola is not yet made, the recipe a bit different from Chef Michael Smith’s, but my visit to this humble book shop will make the taste of it much more delicious - and I have a new cookbook, a murder mystery and a book on writing.

“Bookstores contain the residue of thousands of people 
who went in there to find an experience, a narrative that 
guided them to a new place or reinforced what they were doing.”
~ Lauren Leto, Judging a Book by It’s Lover: 
A Field Guide to the Hearts and Minds of Readers Everywhere

No comments: