Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Extending Humility

I’m not sure how to address this topic tonight. I am in a beautifully appointed and a well staffed hotel in downtown Vancouver for a three day seminar, compliments of Vancouver Island Health Authority. I believe it is the ‘compliments of’ that relate to this topic of humility. 

Vancouver Island Health Authority is a very large health authority, island wide and extending to the islands of the Georgia Strait and in the mainland communities north of Powell River and south of Rivers Inlet. I am one employee, in one health care unit, working in one facility in all that area.

As I look down from my fourteenth floor window of the Pinnacle Hotel on West Hastings, I feel as small as the Canadian flag, the walkway, the trees and all the details of this scene. However, when I am at work, I and my colleagues, each one of us in this expansive Health Authority, become the center of our work world, extending our hands into the heart of our work with the clients and patients that come to us for care.

Being offered this opportunity to learn more after these many years of nursing is equally humbling. To learn about this initiative, Releasing Time to Care, for this one nurse, in a singular career, is exciting and, I’m certain, will reward me with time to collaborate with colleagues, many that I have yet to meet, and some that I have already worked with and known.

“The humblest tasks get beautified if loving hands do them.”
~ Louisa May Alcott




No comments: