Pages

Monday, August 31, 2015

Keeping It in Perspective

Of all the challenges that entered my life this month, it has been a month for much gratitude. 

Housing ~ For the past two years I have been living in a suite that I have loved ~ one or two minor details that have troubled me ~ but in general this suite made me happy each time I walked through the door. My lovely suite was sold, creating a real need to move. Finding a suite in this beautiful, but expensive, town that suited my lifestyle and bank account was the real stressor early on in the month.

Work ~ nursing work ~ I’ve had more shifts this month than most months since last fall. Long hours and little time for extracurricular activities! I have not even gone to a movie this month.

Vision ~ I’ve been dealing with a sort of double vision this month.  Had my right eye cataract removed and replaced in July and the right eye will be done two days from now. Consequently, I have popped out one lens from my glasses just to have good vision. Few people noticed, unless I went out in the sunlight with my one transition lens! More than once I quickly took my 'one glass' off or covered it with a pair of sunglasses.

RealEstate ~ Years ago, I had purchased a small bit of Texas.This year I decided to sell it. That seemed easy enough until the process started. A referral from here, to an agent there and then innumerable text messages, emails and phone calls was the mode of business transaction, along with the kind help of a good friend, the deal was made. Signed and sealed, the final delivery has not yet arrived.

Writing ~ Not really a challenge! In the early days of learning to write prose and poetry, I did a lot of reading. One statement that I keep in mind is: ‘Be willing to write badly’. Unfortunately for you, my readers, I have shared it with you.  

Challenges ~ Each day, sitting down to write about challenges, I really had difficulty finding any real, meaningful challenges in my own life. If I am hungry I can eat, if I am tired I have a place to lay my head, if I need to talk with family, friends or colleagues I do so. The challenge has not been in the task to be done, but in burgeoning fear of my own abilities. When I set that lack of confidence aside, and it is seldom easy, challenges are puzzles to be solved.

Thus my gratitude. I have witnessed the challenges of others making my ‘challenges’ pale in comparison. For each of my challenges, I have gained much ~ in vision, in independence, in relationship and in creativity. 

“So you have to get used to your circumstances, complain about them as 
little as possible, and grasp whatever advantage they have to offer: no condition is so bitter that a stable mind cannot find some consolation in it..”
~ Seneca, On the Shortmess of Life

No comments: