Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Apple Spice Cake

I baked today. Oops, I hope Jim doesn’t mind that I used his words. (that's Jim of Jim's Bread & Buns - website: jimsbuns.ca)

I’m in a new kitchen. Finding the kitchen and fridge are easy and pretty obvious but finding where I put each of the spices was a challenge! And the recipe asked for ‘mixed spices’ as well as a list of other ones. Mixed spices are not the same as allspice! Did I mention this recipe was from the Hairy Biker’s Diet Club website?

Google was very busy finding substitutions for weights and measures, finding out how many apple slices are in 500 gm., finding a recipe for making Mixed Spices! (An aside: Allspice is from dried, ground pimento berries.)

With all of the changes that I had to make to the directions, plus learning how to set temperatures on the stove and make Mixed Spices, I have created the same cake pictured on the website. It’s a bit browner on top, but the altitude, I’m guessing, shortened the baking time by 15 minutes.

My Apple Spice Cake coming to work with me this afternoon for taste testing. I doubt that I’ll have a problem finding volunteer tasters.

“Through enjoyment we endure.”
~ Florence Ditlow

Jim's Bread & Buns - website:  jimsbuns.ca
Hairy Bikers Diet Club - https://www.facebook.com/bikersdietclub?fref=ts

No comments: