Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2015

A Choice Turtle

Handsome. That’s the only word that came to me. And upright, solid, kind. How can a glass turtle be kind? It doesn’t seem right to…..what’s that word?…..anthropomorphize a glass turtle? But his personality is what attracted me to him. And how do I know it’s a him or her? Just always seemed like a him so that when I speak or think of the brown, glass turtle, I think of ‘him’.  I had not had any notion that I would come away from the Butterfly Gardens with anything other than a lovely walk through foliage and butterflies. When I went out there last November on my birthday, I was not expecting to have a gift shop confront me on the way out with tempting trinkets. It’s quite convenient at all the tourist places to have a gift shop conveniently placed at the exit from the exhibit. The enthusiasm of the experience seems to make one wish to part with a few, or several, dollars in one’s pocket. I was careful though. I didn’t want a pen that I could only count on for a day or two, or another book mark or a pad of notepaper when I have scrap paper stuffed in all sorts of corners and cubbies in my office-cum-second bedroom. But this little fellow stood quietly and solidly among all the bright butterflies, cards, dragon flies and wiggly rubber worms. He had been placed slightly aside, closer to the teacups painted with butterflies on them. After wandering for a good twenty minutes, I chose this lovely glass turtle for my November 2014 birthday present. 

“Try to be like the turtle~ at ease in your own shell.”
~ Bill Copeland

No comments: