Pages

Monday, December 28, 2015

Lubbock Memories

I lived in Lubbock, Texas for eleven years. This rather fuzzy picture was taken from my front porch on Christmas Day of 1996. I could be off on the year but, I do remember that my sister Betty visited that year. I also remember that there was enough snow later on for the kids across the street to make a really good snow man, which did last about a week. I returned to Canada with many wonderful perceptions of Texas - except for the brown, brown winters. It seemed that there was only a smattering of evergreen trees throughout the city, although I am certain there must have been many more. Texas Tech campus in the spring and summer with it's amazing willow trees refreshed me when winter was done.

I have many friends in Lubbock still and I’m thinking of you all now. I can only imagine that the streets are all but impassable in many places - this blizzard is amazing, frightening and different. Texting tonight with a friend in Shallowater, a small town outside of Lubbock, I learned that the roads are too bad for regular travel.

Take care down there! I miss each and every one of you. Stay warm and safe!

“Even the strongest blizzards start with a single snowflake.”
~ Sara Raasch,  Snow Like Ashes

No comments: