Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Apathetic or Not

I was going to write some little piece of poetry tonight. However after listening to CBC this afternoon and again this evening, I decided some opinion would suit. I am not of a political bent, but am interested in the political discussions that I hear on the media, on social network and of course in coffee shops. Mr. Trudeau, our Prime Minister, made announcements today that have rattled many, many groups and have pleased others. I listened to his presentation approving the Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain Pipeline, Line 3 pipeline and rejecting Northern Gateway pipelines. I read and heard some of the responses later. I heard rage, anger and immense disappointment on one side and careful optimism on the other side. My side? Confusion.

Not so much confusion that my day was upset and I hid in my bed. But enough so that I was troubled that I have taken no side, have no belief in which action of our government was right or wrong. I am confident, however, that the government made the most financially beneficial decision based on short term gain. 

I am not an activist and often feel guilty that I just can’t be that person. I really don’t want to be in the middle of all the noise and angst. Does that make me the person that sits back on the sidelines while others get their hands dirty? Am I the person that does not get angry or passionate about the big environmental issues that our country faces? And yet I don’t feel that I am apathetic either. I care about how things are done to save this planet. In my home, I take care of the little environmental issues in the amount of water I use, reducing use of disposables and many small things that we are all encouraged to do. What do each of us do that are not the 'real' activists?

My ideas and my chosen actions are relatively small in the grand scheme of things. However my belief in the greatness and value of the environment are the basis for these actions.

“This world is not here for you; you are here for it.”
~ Shannon L. Alder

Author's note: Edited February 01, 2024

No comments: