Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2017

A Glaring Absence

In the past couple of days, I’ve listened to the radio, checked Facebook and watched TV. On radio, today I’ve listened to CBC’s Sunday programming. On TV I’ve watched Charlie Rose and the National. I have noticed a rather glaring absence of content. There has been no statement from the United Nations, which I find rather odd. This impact to individuals and airports around the globe really deserves the attention of the UN.  I contribute to the UN and have been a supporter for many years. Some, I know, believe the United Nations is ineffective and obsolete. I disagree. It is time for the United Nations to step forward. The machinations of the political world are far above my experience, education and pay grade. I am hopeful that those at the United Nations have been very busy this weekend discussing their principles and in doing so are drafting a position statement regarding this very wrong-headed ban. Too, too many families, communities and countries have been, and will be, affected by President Trump’s completely undemocratic ban. All of those families, communities and countries are, by themselves, nations divided and in turmoil and in great need of a United Nations.

One other point that I’ll make in this essay, is that while this ban has created chaos at airports, it just may create more opportunity for violence by anyone choosing to enhance the chaos - not necessarily those that Mr. Trump suspects.

“More than ever before in human history, 
we share a common destiny. We can 
master it only if we face it together. 
And that is why we have the United Nations.”
~ Kofi Annan

No comments: