Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Power Outside

The Power Outside

The rain slashed across windows and through trees. I left my office, away from the disturbing change in the weather. My umbrella, and my raincoat, were in the car. On the far side of the parking lot. Checking my watch on the way to my boss's office, it was only 4:30 pm. I still had a half hour before stepping out into the sideways storm. Buried in my thoughts about getting the minutes done, the agenda set up for the next meeting and all the discussion about policies, procedures and all things bureaucartic, I didn’t check outside again. I would just get wet when it was home time - not a cheery thought to end my day. Back at my desk, tying up the day’s loose ends, my pencil slipped out of my hand. Bending to pick it up, I realized the room had brightened. Shadows played across the floor where shadows had been rained out 15 minutes before. Swiveling my chair around in surprise, the sun was streaming through a wide hole into the still swirling clouds and through my office window.  ‘Damn! There is no balance to this weather! Or the balance point is so fine that if my thoughts are buried too deep I miss this amazing power.

“Embrace the weather, child, and 
you’ll understand the balance of the world.”
~ Dean Koontz, Brother Odd


No comments: