Pages

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Good Fortune

Good Fortune

“Utilities for our homes!”

My husband, usually quiet and focussed while paying bills, slammed his pen down and raked his hands through his hair.

“We pay our bills on time and for the full amounts. We’ve been in this house for ten years and we’ve never wavered. A letter accompanied our bill today. I just about missed it. It kindly - and I use that word loosely - read - ‘utilities for our homes are a privilege. A privilege that we utilize each day for our…..yada-yada-yada…….”

“Oh, honey, that’s just a form letter that is sent out to everyone. It’s not directed at us, and anyone else who’s been a faithful consumer.  You’re just tired. And you haven’t even eaten your dinner yet. Your daughter cooked tonight. I barely had to help her with anything. Was just in the kitchen for guidance and to visit.”

“You’re right. I am just tired. But I still don’t like the tone of the letter.”

“Paul, turn the lights out before you come in to dinner? Thanks. And by they way, I’ve watered the garden for today. The flowers and vegetables are looking healthy. There is such an abundant crop of strawberries that I picked some for the dessert Abby made.”

“You're right. We are pretty fortunate aren’t we, honey? Let me help with setting the table.”

“What separates privilege from entitlement is gratitude.”
~ Brené Brown

Author's note: Edited February 09, 2024

No comments: