Pages

Monday, October 9, 2017

Reminders and Memories

Before I offer you my writing exercise from Friday afternoon’s writing group, I must tell you this has been a wonderful Thanksgiving at my son’s home. New friends made, friendships renewed and families blended to share great and varied conversation. And the food! Fantastic aromas, delicious tastes and prepared by many hands of both guests and hosts. To top it off, much of the music was played on vinyl!  Who remembers 78’s? The digital music paled by contrast, although in reality I really couldn't tell with all the visiting and laughter.  An evening that made sweet memories which is a perfect segue to my post.

*****

Reminders and Memories

The smell of an orange reminds me of a summer day at the beach, pulling me away from grey winds flinging rain against the window. Breathing deeply, I feel the long ago warmth of the sun on my face. I taste the cool, clean of the orange soda I sipped from the sweating glass.  At the same time I shiver in the cold, shaking the image from me, stirring the fire to encourage the flames. Summer sun is rolled up until next year. Bare toes curling in the hot sand are covered in warm wooly socks. Cool drinks are replaced with hot cocoa lathered with whipped cream. But oranges? A lovely orange from the refrigerator, sliced through with my sharpest knife, splashes spots of orange juice on my hands and face. Peeling away down to the fruit, I focus again on my memories of summer days at the beach. With a smile, I take my cup of cocoa and dish of orange slices back to the fireplace to plan my summer stay at the beach.

From Writer’s group Friday afternoon, we were each given a lead to a 10 minute writing exercise. The lead that I got was:  The smell of an orange reminds me of …….  The only thing that came to me was the beach! In discussion afterwards there were those that said that the reminder was of Christmas. I ran out of words at eight minutes So have an opportunity for a ‘do over’. Here is the revised piece to include Christmas.

Including Christmas - Revised Reminders and Memories

The smell of an orange reminds me of a summer day at the beach, pulling me away from grey winds flinging cold December rain against the window. Breathing deeply, I feel the long ago warmth of the sun on my face. I taste the cool, clean of the orange soda I sipped from the sweating glass.  At the same time I shiver in the cold, shaking the image from me, stirring the fire to encourage the flames. Summer sun is rolled up until next year. Bare toes curling in the hot sand are covered in warm wooly socks. Cool drinks are replaced with hot cocoa lathered with whipped cream. But oranges? They are still here for me. A lovely orange from the refrigerator, sliced through with my sharpest knife, splashes spots of orange juice on my hands and face. Peeling away down to the fruit, I focus again on the day before me rather than my memories of summer days at the beach. With a smile, I take my cup of cocoa and dish of orange slices back to the fireplace to open just one gift on this Christmas Eve. The smell of an orange also brings back memories of Christmas and stockings full of nuts and candy, with the ultimate treasure the orange in the toe of the old brown stocking.

“For the sense of smell, almost more than any other, has the power 
to recall memories and it is a pity that we use it so little.”
~ Rachel Carson

(The image for this piece is on my Facebook page.)

Author's note: Edited February 17, 2024

No comments: