Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Really?!

I had no idea how many 
plastic bags and plastic debris
go into my garbage daily ~
into my plastic garbage bag.

There are many global issues
that make me angry. 
None have touched me 
right in my kitchen! like this has.

Seeing pictures of oceans with
plastic bags and plastic debris floating 
like forests of kelp waving in the current
angers me. Garbage tossed away mindlessly.
Any gratitude towards convenience has also been tossed away.

I can’t divine which, if any, of my plastic
ends up strangling a turtle or
sickening to death a whale
but I can change my attitude 
about what’s really disposable.

“How is the ocean not enraged, swelling - 
How is it not furious with grief: 
we have drowned it in plastic, 
it’s waves are no longer it’s own.”
~ Ashley Asti,  The Moon and Her Sisters

No comments: