Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

An Un-Recipe

Scrambled eggs, for me, are a comfort food any day, any time, or any season. It can be a simple scramble with only salt and pepper with toast and marmalade along side. Or it can be just a bit more interesting - spiced up. On one of his TV shows, Chef Jamie Oliver demonstrated how to prepare spices before mixing them into anything. Melt a bit of butter in a frying pan, add the spices and heat until they are fragrant. I actually didn’t know that spices could be fragrant, but found the aroma of melted butter, red pepper flakes, curry and fennel to be quite delicious. For my more than simple, but easy, scramble, I add cooked rice, stirring around just to marry it with the spices. Before the rice gets browned, but when it’s heated through, I pour in the scrambled eggs. At medium heat, I cook the eggs until they are soft, but not browned.  

Comfort food nourishes body and soul. Preparing comfort food, or any food, often is part of that comfort and nourishment. Gathering accompaniments and creating a fairly decent presentation almost makes me feel like a chef. The aroma of cooking food, the anticipation of sitting down to the completed dish and finally the taste created for personal preference completes any good ‘Un-recipe’. 

“Recipes are overrated.”
Chef Jose Andres

Ingredients:
Eggs
Cooked rice
Spices (I use red pepper flakes, fennel and curry)
Salt and Pepper
(Optional - Mushrooms, or anything else)

No comments: