Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Beautiful Survival

Never-ending rolls of beauty and form, sound and fury are displayed all around us. Whether outside in parks, along sidewalks and up in the blue, blue sky or in the items we’ve chosen for our homes. I’m not talking singularly about sculptures or paintings. In parks, the passion and care of the designers has created beautiful structure and form of trees and flowers. Passion that extends to local environmental concerns, that will promote the best growth for these beautiful natural sculptures. Along sidewalks, it may be a single rose or poppy that grows on a rock walk or climbing an old fence. Up in the blue, blue sky? A horse tail cloud drifting lazily or maybe a clear summer sky being threatened by great castles of thunderous storm clouds. In my home, I look around to see what is beautiful. It definitely is not an art gallery of any great import. Each item, from a handsome acrylic painting or framed high school picture, a rocking chair or any of my items that I like to call ‘my stuff’ has the beauty of ancestors, family, friends and experiences. Balls of yarn being crocheted into gifts for babies, children or something just for me. Beauty can be also be found in the laughter, or tears, of children. Temper tantrums, not so much, but exquisite in their own detail. The destruction and sadness of thunder storms and temper tantrums often only bring out the beauty of the human spirit to survive. The desire and will to take one more step in this life. I guess I’m feeling particularly grateful today for my good fortune in all of the experiences I’ve had in life ~ the good and the not so good.

“Survival starts by paying attention to what is close 
at hand and immediate. To look out with idle hope 
is tantamount to dreaming one’s life away.”
~ Yann Martel,  Life of Pi

No comments: