Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Before and After ~1

Before the end of my career
I could see nothing
but dark blankness ~
my anchors cut away
cruelly setting me
adrift into an uncertain sea.

By the end of employment
I saw many doors
to be opened by 
my trembling hand,
cheered on by others
already in mid voyage.

My early journey
has found joy in
cautiously hoisting my sails
riding the winds
confident in the strength 
of my fragile ship.

“The way through the world is more difficult 
to find than the way beyond it.”
 Wallace Stevens, American modernist poet
(October 2, 1879 - August 2, 1955)

1 comment:

Connie Frey said...

Lovely to know you are still actively blogging, Susan, and read a serendipitous post about how you've flowed, are flowing - on impulse today. Your boat's afloat, a-wind! Warmest cheers, Connie Frey