Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Nature View



Victoria has a plethora of urban wildlife. I’ve often mentioned that I see deer, squirrels and raccoons in and around my patio. Yesterday morning, as I sat at my desk writing in my journal, I glanced up at my window. A slight movement had caught my eye. There, sitting as peaceful you please, was a fawn. I recalled the few details of deer behaviour that I knew. The doe hides her fawn in a sheltered place while she goes off to forage. This was the thought that went through my head, and it may in fact have been true. The fawn barely moved when I tapped on the window to get a better ‘nature view’ for my iPhone. After too many taps, the fawn, three to four months old got up stiffly, licked at a
spot on its side and moved away. The next I saw, the fawn was lying quietly in front of my patio, protected by the foliage there. Over an hour and a half I watched the fawn becoming concerned. I spoke with SPCA Wildlife, who told me that a doe would ‘hide’ her fawn for up to two hours. As I was on the phone, the fawn got up again and stiffly walked away. I’ve not seen it since. My hope was that any injury the fawn may have had was minor. The SPCA did assure me that deer heal incredibly quickly. Did the doe return? Questions that will never be answered, as I have not seen any deer since.


*******


Today at 05:45am - When I opened my curtains to my patio this morning, I thought to myself - ‘I hope my little fawn isn’t there.’ No sooner did I have that thought when I saw the fawn curled up between the two plants, looking perky and content. I quickly turned out my lights and got my camera.
06:15 - my movements must have suggested the fawn was not in the safest place. A wise move, as the yard care folks may be here today with their noisy machines.

If I see it again and it's condition is deteriorating there will be another call to SPCA Wildlife. The fawn does look like it's doing ok. 

“In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.”
~ Aristotle

SPCA Wildlife ph. number - 1-855-622-7722

*wikihow.pet - information about age of fawns

 Author's note:  
Update one week later: did not see the fawn again so can only hope it survived it's possible injuries.

No comments: