Pages

Friday, November 22, 2019

Body Language

Finally! I have come of age!

No longer a need 
for a weather vane to determine which way the wind is blowing or a cheerful meteorologist to tell me the patterns of cloud and currents in the sky. 

No longer a need to 
step outside to feel 
the changes in the weather or 
check a weather app to see 
what my day may bring. 

There is a stiffening ache in my knee 
while clouds gather in the distance ~
an extra pull to neck muscles from my shoulder 
while the temperatures drop precipitously ~
a tender elbow while, outside and in, barometric pressure 
responds too gravely to gravity. 

All in the midst of calm moods 
and before stormy moods, 
the weather decries numbers, graphs and pictures.
Stories of arthritis flares and weather changes ~
no longer ‘old wives tales’ but 
real and sharp and annoying. 

‘Yes, I get the message’ I say to my joints 
as though they were all plotting against me. 
But my message to them is:
‘No matter. It’s time to go for a walk outside
whether the weather is changing or not.”

“Body language is more powerful than words.”
~ Ricky Gervais

No comments: