Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Chapter One, Episode Twelve - Leaning In - Situationally Theirs

May 17, 2020
Review, Edit and Update:  My biggest concern with this and other episodes is often sentence structure. I’ve cleaned up some areas I felt were confusing. Dez has another hair colour in this piece - this time it’s brown - suggesting to me that she likes to dye her hair! I have added the hair colour issue to my list. Also clarified is my opening line. I went back to the edited post for April 1st (Title: April Fool) for the already edited version. All other updates - both previous and upcoming have been edited in this fashion.

Leaning In

Even so, Emmie would put her book down and stare off into space. Dez would hold her paint brush in mid air studying the edge of the canvas. Despite their interest in things they had done in the past, this state of limbo was tiring. It was as if, in that vacant space or on the edge of the canvas, an answer to this limbo would be hovering ready to be snatched. So it was, that Dez had gotten interested in a seed catalogue she found in Martha’s room. Taking it out to the kitchen table, now without any tape, she was poring over it intently. Never before interested in gardening, or anything green and growing, she had found a new fascination. 

Earlier in the day, Emelina and Desperanza had contacted Digby and Martha. Emmie introduced Dez to each of them. They were pleased that Emelina had company, both apologetic that they had left Mrs. Beaufort and her estate so abruptly. Receiving news of the Invisible Menace, as Digby had called it at that time, they all agreed that they must leave immediately. He knew now that the world was in the midst of a pandemic. Always curious about details, Digby had learned much about it. Informed by what he learned, Digby, Martha and all the staff, had written notes to Emelina and left the house quickly. Troubled about the manner of their departure and poor communication, they were certain their employment would be jeopardized. Emelina told them that she had, in fact, felt quite deserted by them, but assured them their positions in the household were intact. She said good fortune smiled, when, quite unexpectedly, she was called on to rescue her sister Desperanza from a bad situation. Emmie didn’t go into details about that particular situation. She asked both Martha and Digby how they were managing. Did they know how the rest of the staff were managing? Digby assured Emelina that, besides feeling very cooped up, he was well. Digby was a man of strict routine, so this sudden change was a bit difficult, however ‘I’m managing, Mrs. Beaufort.’ was all he would say. Martha, cheerful as always, was at her sewing machine making costumes for her grandchildren, started before distancing started so had them ‘all measured up.’ When they were finished, she would wash them, package them and set them on her daughter’s front step. Emmie smiled. Seeing their faces and hearing their voices had touched a warm spot in her heart. Dez was pleased that her sister had such good people working for her. She did feel an uncomfortable feeling of not belonging, but shrugged it off. Reaching out to the outside world made this separation and distance feel not quite so lonely.

~~~~~

“Dez, look at what I’ve found.” When Dez didn’t answer or even look up, Emmie thought maybe her voice was too muffled behind the soft blue wool. She didn’t want to take it off. It would ruin the effect.

“Dez. Can you hear me?” Still muffled, at least she seemed to have Dez’s attention when she saw her brown curls lift from whatever held her focus.

“Emmie, this is so fascinating! All the different names of flowers and vegetables. They need the right soil, the right light………….What are you wearing!?” Dez looked up from the gardening catalogue, ready to show Emmie all that she had found. Looking up with a big smile, her blue eyes wide, her face changed in an instant. Dez didn’t know whether to be shocked or just laugh.

“I’m wearing my skiing balaclava! I’m trying to get into the spirit of the latest Covid19 controversy. To mask or not to mask. What do you think? I’ve got a spare for you as well. We can go into town and pick up groceries for Digby and for Martha. Giles, Cook and the rest are ok, so we don’t have to worry about them.”

“Emmie! You look positively weird. You don’t do weird…ever!”

Emmie pulled the blue balaclava off her head, her long hair crackling with static. She shook her head, forcing her hair from her face. She actually had enjoyed surprising Dez like that. 

“Really Dez. What do you think about the mask issue? I’m not certain about what we should do.” 

“Well, I haven’t been paying attention to the news. It’s making me crazy. Why are masks even a question? I think that if someone is coughing or sneezing all over the place they shouldn’t even be out. Pretty simple.”

“You may be right, but many people are sewing them at home. I was never much at sewing. I’m sure Martha has all the right supplies, but if we shouldn't need them." Emmie hesitated. "I just thought wearing balaclavas would work just fine. We could take them with us when we go into town.”

“What would we be going into town for? Did I hear you say something about groceries? We’ve got lots of food here. What do we need?”

“Not for us, Dez. For Digby and for Martha. Remember? They each gave us a small list of things they need. It’s actually not just groceries. We need to pick up Martha’s medication for her from the drug store.”

“Why are you doing this for them, Emmie? After all they just left you wth nothing but instructions on sticky notes. Sure, they both seem very nice but….I don’t know if I’d be that forgiving,”

“Dez, while you and I have been in our kitchen home for the last many days ~ weeks? ~ I’ve had time to think. I’ve been beyond spoiled. All I’ve had to do is go to these charity board meetings and make up their numbers. I’m not even sure anymore if I’m an effective member of any of them. I get up and Brigitte fixes my hair and makes sure my wardrobe is ready and appropriate for whatever I’m attending. Giles drives me wherever I want to go and waits for me. Digby is always at the front door when I come home. He and Martha collaborate to run this big empty house with just me in it. Cook makes absolutely amazing meals. When I have a dinner party, she makes magic with her food for my guests. The rest of the staff are just as amazing. The lawns and gardens are beautiful. The house is always clean and polished. All done without a cross word, at least not to my face. That’s a pretty long answer to your question, isn’t it? It’s not that I’m forgiving. They are worth some of the TLC that they have given me.”

“Living Downstairs has really made a difference for you, hasn’t it Emmie.

“Living Downstairs ~ and with you, Dez, ~ has really made a difference. You have shown me a different way to deal with difficulties. Your determination to get past, or to really live, each minute has been impressive. I had been unceremoniously banished from my ivory tower. I had to fend for myself for the first time in a very long time.” Emmie smiled a tiny smile, tears brimmed in her eyes. “I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t robbed that bank.”


“When did you get so clever?”
“When I realized I wasn’t as clever as I thought.”
~ John Connolly, The Infernals

No comments: