Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 35 - Sparkle and Shine - Situationally Theirs

June 10, 2020
Review, Edit and Update
Sparkle and Shine is an interesting episode that really provides some character development for Dez and Emmie. Their conversation does show an easy relationship, allowing Emmie to describe and model some characteristics of her staff for Dez.

There was a possible 'oops'. Dez was offered and accepted Emmie's old room as 'hers' for whenever she needed to be on the estate for a couple of days. In a future episode, another character (Dr. Jeremy Crawford) slept in Dez's room, and was also invited to spend time on the estate if he chose. That may not be a huge faux pas, but I had forgotten all about this little piece. (I just hope they don't need the room at the same time!)

Few edits were required, merely punctuation and some wording. 

Sparkle and Shine

“Wow! I thought we left the kitchen pretty clean when we were finished our isolation.” Dez hesitated before going any further. “It is positively sparkling in here. Emmie, come and see this.” 

“Oh my goodness. Brigitte must have been here. The kitchen is beautiful! Let’s go see what the upstairs looks like.”

The two sisters practically tiptoed across the kitchen floor, afraid they would get it marked up. They were even cautious when putting their hands on the oak bannister to the upstairs, its wood polished and shining. 

Dez laughed out loud. “Emmie, we’re acting like a couple of kids scared of mom! ‘I just washed that floor! If you dirty it up, you’ll have to wash the whole thing.’ If we mark things up, we’d just better clean up after ourselves. “

“I doubt Brigitte would chastise us. She might give us a mop or a dust cloth and watch us work. You know, I really don’t know what she’d  do. This is all so new to me.”

“What’s new, Emmie? You’ve had this staff for years.”

“Yes but I haven’t known them. I haven’t had a relationships with them other than to tell them what I want and expect them to get it for me. Or get something done for me. It’s really a little bit intimidating when I think about it.”

“Look, Emmie, I’ve met them all. All except Giles ~ that’s his name, isn't it? The chauffeur? They all seem like really nice people. I’m pretty sure you’ll get along with them just fine.  But you’re right, relationship issues can be pretty darn difficult. I guess it will be kind of like introducing yourself all over again. That’s got to be difficult for them too. I guess the older ones like Digby, Martha and Cook, knew you well before your husband died. What were you like then?”

“Thinking back, I was kind of a snob even then. These last years, since Michael died, I have been either helpless or a tyrant. To expect them all to just accept that the sudden change will be permanent, may be too much, too soon. For instance, the staff meeting. I wonder if I should attend it at all. Or maybe, just long enough to …I don’t know…say something about me. My past behaviour. What I thought I might do? What do you think Dez? It really is giving me a knot in my stomach.”

“If it was me and let’s say I was Brigitte - I could be her age again - I’d either be really annoyed or reserved and just listen. If I was either Martha or Cook? Let’s see. I think I may be on the defence. Especially Cook. This has been her territory for so long and she may be afraid you’re going to be in the kitchen all the time. Martha? I think, even if she is a bit anxious, I think she’d keep her peace unless she felt there was something really wrong. Digby is so quiet, but I’ll just bet that he’ll just keep doing his job. Is he pretty diplomatic?”

“Yes, that’s Digby all right. It hasn’t mattered what state of mind I’ve been in, he has always been even tempered and kind. When he’s in the privacy of his room, or in his own home, I don’t know if he says what he really thinks, but to my face he is just Digby. Emmie straightened her posture, her face inscrutable, hands behind her back. She dropped her voice and spoke slowly and clearly.  "If I were to ask him about this issue of my changed attitude and behaviour, he would say something like ‘Madam, you have always been welcome at our meetings, and you still are welcome at our meetings. Bring your concerns to us whenever and however you see fit.’ He would leave ‘my concern’ right back in my lap.”

“I’ve barely met Digby, so I can’t tell for certain, but that looked like you have him to a T, Emmie. So, there you have it. It is your decision to decide what to do. I think you’ve really surprised everyone and probably ruffled the waters a bit. Don’t let that send you running back to the weird person you just described to me.”

“I’m not, Dez, but if you see me slipping back let me know would you?”

Now it was Dez’s turn to stand straight with an inscrutable face, hands behind her back: “Madam, should I notice anything I will certainly indicate that something is amiss, however I am confident you will be well aware of any slippage.” The two women burst into laughter. 

“Maybe, just a brief stop in to say hello. I’ll sort it out and let Digby know as soon as I know. Now, which bedroom would you like?”

“Me? Why do I need a bedroom?”

“Well when you come out here for any reason. To just get out of the city. To come to visit me. To tend your bees. Or just to eat Cook’s food.”

“And I get to choose my own room. I thought the rooms would be reserved for others that may need them - I think you mentioned health care workers a few days ago. “

“You’re right. I did mention that. I think one room would be enough for that purpose. I’m in the den so which bedroom do you want? It would be your room. No one else’s. Are you staying tonight?”

Dez was gob-smacked - that’s what their grandfather would have said. She was absolutely surprised. It had felt like their worlds really had become separate and back to the old differences. At least economically speaking. Their friendship as sisters was stronger and more solid, but Dez hadn’t expected this offer.  Do I dare take Emmie’s old room? Just to even feel a bit of Emmie’s luxury. 

“Ok. Would you mind if I took your old room?”

“Not at all! As a matter of fact, I think I’d like that. Put some new energy in that room. Like opening the windows and let the ‘lady of the manor’ fly away. I still have some clothes in the closet that wouldn’t fit into the armoire in the den - and some shoes. So I’ll be in and out when you’re not here.”

“But what about a bed?  Didn’t we move your bed into the den?”

“Yes we did, but I’ve had your new bed delivered yesterday. This is your home whenever you want it. After all, we are in this together, Dez.”


“Backward glances are not encouraged.”
~ Margaret Atwood

No comments: