Pages

Monday, June 8, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 76 - A Secret - Situationally Theirs

Review, Edit and Update
Three pieces of punctuation changed and the removal of one extra space between words. That was it. 

But, after a fourth read through, I noticed two pieces of dialogue in need of setting. 

I'll admit I was surprised and pleased that Episode 76 showed  improvement in not just writing, but in editing prior to it's post on June 08, 2020.

A Secret

Fresh from the shower, her hair still turbaned, Emelina wore her thick terry robe. She was still confused about what had happened. When Martha woke her up, with sunlight streaming in the window, she had felt disoriented and out of place. Her neck was sore. When she sat up and realized she’d slept in the big wing chair from the living room, having such a sore neck was not strange. What was strange was that the wing chair was in the dining room! While she was in the shower, water hot enough to almost scald her, the events of the previous evening filtered back through the steam. 

 Talking slowly and patiently to herself she tried to sort it all out. “If it was a dream, then I was sleep walking. And while I was sleep walking I moved all the furniture after I’d asked permission from the ghost of a girl only about 11 years old. I talked to her. She talked to me.”

Emelina paused. Unwound the towel from her hair and, using it, scrunched as much water from her long blonde hair as possible. Draping the damp towel over the shower rod, she straightened it out. “That was easier than trying to straighten out this thing…a dream or not a dream.” 

Still talking aloud to herself while she used the blow dryer on her hair, she said “If it was not a dream, then I was awake. I talked to the ghost child, she talked back to me.” Emmie shuddered. “She didn’t materialize right away, only after I asked her to. And that was after she moved two chairs. I wasn’t even afraid! At least I don’t remember being afraid at all. After she said it was ok to switch the dining room……” Emelina clicked off the blow dryer, put it down gently and said…. "Oh My Gosh. I asked her who first changed the living room into a dining room and she said it was soldiers! When would there have been soldiers in this house?……I’m going to get dressed and find Digby. See if he knows anything about soldiers being on this island and especially in this house. I’ve got to sort his out. I really don’t think it was a dream. Martha may think so, but I know I hadn’t even brought a blanket with the chair when I moved it.” Emelina returned to her room, quickly dressed in brown slacks and a light peach-coloured cotton shirt; she selected deep coral teardrop earrings and a silver bracelet with coral inlay. Sandals will be ok for now. Satisfied with herself she left her room to go to the kitchen for breakfast, taking her empty tea cup with her. I’ll tell Martha to leave everything as it is. When Brigitte gets here, we’ll finish changing the rooms around.

~~~~~

“Good morning ladies!” Emelina emerged from the upstairs, fresh as a daisy. 

“Well look at you, Miss Emelina! You’ve certainly washed the sleep out of your eyes. Did you wash that dream away too? I’ve talked with Giles and he’ll get that furniture all moved back in place.” Martha liked things in order and was very efficient at getting things done. Giles would have been told, but in a very diplomatic and sweet way, that he had furniture to move and it had to be done today.

“No, Martha, let me talk with Digby first. I may want to make the changes permanent.” Emelina walked to the cupboard holding the kitchen china.

“I know it’s none of my business, how can talking to James make a difference?” Martha had already set things in motion. Although a bit flustered, she was immediately ready to contact Giles again. 

“Martha, just be patient with me. What I want right now is a cup of that fresh coffee and one of those gigantic cinnamon rolls that I could smell all the way upstairs. They are cool enough now aren’t they? Before I forget, I’m expecting Dez and Brigitte out here later this morning, so if I’m busy talking with Digby or am upstairs please let me know when they arrive.”

Martha, still a bit miffed that she was being put off, but she decided she would ask James later what it was all about. “Get your coffee and then get yourself a plate and I’ll just get you a nice warm cinnamon bun to put on it. There’s butter on the table.”

Cook had listened to all of this and kept her peace. She had heard all the rumours about a little ghost girl, but she’d never seen her or heard her. Mostly she heard about a little girl on a swing. 
Sometimes, when she was alone in the house she’d get a funny feeling. Like someone was standing right beside her watching her. It would be when she was baking cookies or cutting up apples for a pie. As soon as she stopped what she was doing and looked around the feeling passed. She had never said anything about it, like it was some kind of a shameful secret. A secret that everyone knows about but no one will talk about. Cook spoke up: “Those buns are still pretty fresh so don’t eat them too fast. They’ll be too heavy on your stomach.”

~~~~~

Digby arrived just as Emelina was finishing her coffee. “Good morning everyone. A lovely work place to enter: three charming ladies and the delicious aromas of coffee and cinnamon buns.”

“Digby, when you’re settled would you have a minute to speak with me. I had a very unusual evening. I have questions.”

“Of course Miss. I’ll be out in a minute for my coffee. Do you want to talk in my office?”

~~~~~

Digby listened carefully to Emelina’s account of the previous evening. When she started talking, he was sitting in his desk chair, both hands clasped, two fingers on his lips. As she told of the details he sat back, his brow wrinkled. If possible, he was listening more intently. When Emelina said that she asked Sarah “Who did change the rooms?” Digby became very still. “What did she say, Miss Emelina?”

“Digby, are you all right? You’ve gotten so pale.”

“Yes, Miss. I’m sorry - it’s just that I’m concerned. No, that’s not it. I can tell you what Sarah said.”

“Digby? How can you? I was alone - except for Sarah.”

“She said….‘soldiers and it always stayed.’ I’m correct aren’t I?” 

“Yes. But how?…..”

There was a knock on the door, Martha opened it a crack - “Brigitte and Dez are here to see Miss Emelina, James.”

“Thank you, Martha. I’ll be out in a moment…..James - I mean Digby - we can talk about this tomorrow.”  Emmie put her hand gently on James shoulder. “Can I get you anything?”

“A secret’s worth depends on the people from whom it must be kept.”
~ Carlos Ruiz Zafrón,  The Shadow of the Wind

No comments: