Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2020

A Walk in the Park ~ 1

I fell ~ 

Not so I couldn't get up, but

into the well of old thinking,

stereotypes and beliefs.

(there’s that word ‘old!)


‘Old’:

Signals not just 

A number of years, but

the inevitability of decrepitude!


When joints sing their scratchy, whine-y annoying 

songs of pain and angst I cry~

“But I can’t move my furniture by myself 

when I want to rearrange my living room?!”


When muscles scream and cry their warnings ~ 

“Don’t pick up anything heavier than five pounds.

“Damn. That means my great-granddaughter and my cat! 

And what about my cast iron Dutch oven?”


When a walk in the park is 

not just a walk in the park 

but an exercise regimen - 

I have to do something!


Oh, sure, some people say a birthday is just a number,

But I say ~

that number comes with false advertising.

I am NOT decrepit

~ a couple of minor issues may have suggested

it’s time to fall into that uncomfortable place, 

to give up,

accept my place in the world of stereotypes.


You know,

my seven plus decades of life and living are just that:

life and living 

through all the bumps and bruises 

that came along with each passing year

complete with many sunrises and sunsets.


Can I still bake a cake or cook what I want?

can I still eat chocolate or steak?

(the steak does needs a bit more chewing now 

but chocolate comes in many delicious forms.)


old and decrepit? - I think not.


“Did you seriously just stamp your foot? 

I thought girls only did that on TV.”

~ Stephanie Meyer, Eclipse

No comments: