Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2021

A Cat Tale - The Layabout


I had finished gathering and sorting all my laundry, not pleased with my new hire. I had hoped to have great conversations about world affairs or just the state of snow removal in the city. And of course, a reliable employee. Had my expectations of the young man been too great? When he initially came on the scene, we did have a couple of short interviews - that I didn’t know were interviews. I later learned I was the interviewee. I hired him some months later. He had seemed pleasant enough, even though he was quite young. He wasn’t one of those eager beaver types that want to get in your face whenever one sits down to read a book or finish up computer files and seemed quite quiet and polite. Previous employers seemed quite satisfied with his comportment although in retrospect I realized his employee status had been carefully avoided.  So when he was recommended to me, having lost his position in a very comfortable home, I decided it was time to hire some help. I admit this decision was partly selfish on my account as winter had set in with a vengeance. I could offer room and board, with a bit of light housework. I learned via the grapevine that he may have had to live shelter to shelter  - on the street and getting involved with all kinds of vicious characters. Within the first 24 hours in my home, that handsome young man that I thought was quiet and polite was bossy and noisy. He talked my ear off at that top of his lungs. Demanded that he have free range in the kitchen. That is as well as regular meals - that I had to make for him. If it hadn’t been blizzarding, I would have given him my old sleeping bag and opened the door. But I am too soft hearted. 

Over time, we came to an understanding about all the racket he was making. I’m a bit of a loner and cherish my peace and quiet. Slowly things settled into a comfortable routine. We respected each other’s space and had developed a cordial relationship. Until today. I had asked for help with gathering and sorting the laundry. Not a big job. I just wanted some company. He wandered around, sat on the window seat looking out at the world then seemed to have disappeared. Then I found him. Taking a nap. 


“A quick nap right now sounds really good.”

~ Fred Olsen Ray

No comments: