Pages

Monday, April 19, 2021

Jack Mackenzie and Misty

Jack Mackenzie and Misty


It was chilly. Jack Mackenzie shivered and turned up his collar. He dug his leather gloves from the  pocket of his cashmere dress coat, glad he thought to bring them with him. And his hat. Glancing around him, he hoped no one would see him. It was an old hat, one that his mother had made him. Pompom, ear flaps and strings that hung loosely. He’d had it since Grade 12 when it was cool. Ordinarily it was tucked up in a box in the trunk of his car. Jack was in Regina for a political Premiers’ conference. He wasn’t the Premier. He was the assistant to the assistant to the assistant to the Premier of Ontario. A job he’d snagged right out of University. His boss had given him the night off. He decided to take the walking path around Wascana Lake from the Legislature. Half way around the lake, there was a big cement viewing area. He thought he would see what there was to see in his old home town. The lake glistened. The sun had broken through the clouds just as a Canada goose flew from Willow Island. He remembered some pretty interesting parties on that Island when he was in high school. Jack checked his watch. Supper time. His parents, still living in the Cathedral Area, were expecting him. Cabbage rolls, pirogues, mashed potatoes, ham and lemon meringue pie. He could almost smell and taste them from where he stood.


~~~~~


“So Jack, what’s it like out East. What’s got you so interested out there that we never see you anymore?” Stanley MacKenzie was pretty proud of his boy. He still called him a boy - Jack tried to correct him more than once, but gave up. Telephone calls didn’t deserve the argument. “Well dad  - ….Mom, you coming to the table? - I like my job. Pay's pretty good and I’ve got good benefits. The hours can be long sometimes, but my boss gives me whatever time off I ask for - unless it’s important policy issues.” He helped himself to more cabbage rolls. “Mom, you’ve outdone yourself again!” Caroline smiled. “Just leave room for the pie. It’s so good to have you home, Jack. I know I’ve asked you this before, but why are you so fascinated by all that political rigamarole? I’ve never understood it. I vote and I like to listen to some of it, but it’s so complicated.” She got up and began clearing their meal away, making room for the pie. “Keep your fork, dear. And you too, Stanley.”   


~~~~~


“Wow. That was so good, mom. I’ve had a lot of good food in Ottawa, but this is the best.” Jack sat back in his chair, eyes closed and holding his stomach. “Aaahhh - politics. Why am I so fascinated? There was only one reason. Remember our dog Misty?” His parents nodded. Misty had been with them for many years. Stanley came home with her when Jack was just two years old. “What about her, Jack? Misty’s been gone a couple of years now.” Stanley scooped another spoonful of the lemon meringue pie, despite a disapproving look from his wife. “Do you remember the issues that the city had about certain breeds of dogs. They were going to ban all pit bulls from Regina. Misty was only part pit bull. One of my friends, I think it was Tyler, said she’d have to be put down if the bylaw passed. I went to Mrs. Elliot, the principal and asked her if that was true. Long story short, she put me in touch with one of the councillors that was against the bylaw. I helped on the campaign and the proposed bylaw was voted down. I didn’t think much of it at the time. University classes made me start thinking and I remembered being really interested and here I am. So I owe it all to Misty and the knuckleheads that wanted her gone.” Jack checked his watch. “Dad, help me with the dishes. Mom, you sit here and have your coffee. I’ll have to get back to the Leg. in about a half hour, but we’ll clean up first. Dad, you bring what’s left of the pie and I’ll bring the rest.”


“To me education is a leading out of what is already there in the pupil’s soul.”

~ Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie


 

No comments: