Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2021

A Walk in the Park ~ 3


A Walk in the Park


Earth shattering screams pierced the early evening air! Winston cringed. The lake remained unruffled. “I told them not to start screaming until I signalled them. Abigail is late!” Winston Dreadnaught had a date. The first date in years. He obfuscated if anyone pressed him on that issue. Nervously, he looked around to make certain the ‘screamers’ he had hired were not in sight. On the path leading into the park he spied Abigail. She wore the demure white dress sprinkled with purple flowers she purchased at Winston’s Ladies Wear the week before. The ‘date’ was merely a stroll around the lake, with a stop at the Tea House. He pulled out his pocket watch, hoping that they would not be too late for their reservation. 


Abigail Abercrombie was nervous. Especially coming into the city park alone. The earth shattering screams did little to give her ease, stopping her in her tracks. She had seen Winston wave so, with only brief hesitation, she continued on. “Good evening, Winston. My heavens, I almost decided to turn and run when I heard the screams. I was so afraid that you’d been hurt and that I’d be next! But I’m glad I changed my mind. It’s such a lovely evening and you are looking so very handsome.”


Winston breathed a sigh of relief. “As am I, Abigail. Those screams were just some unruly children who should be home for supper. I’m certain that now that we’re together, there will be no other problems.” Winston was pleased. He’d have to give his two ‘screamers’ a extra coin or two for being early. He offered his arm to Abigail and they set out for their stroll.


“Smile, breathe, and go slowly.”

~ Thich Nhat Hanh


 

No comments: