Pages

Friday, June 10, 2022

Burst or Bloom

When I was just a prairie farm kid, it was exciting to move from town to farm and back every year. Standing in the back of the big grain truck as it lumbered for one more load of our household. That was before I had full responsibility for myself, let alone living in a large family. Over the years, moving from home to home, apartment to apartment, excitement lost its shine til it was as dull as old cardboard. Moving has become increasingly difficult, costly and, quite frankly, annoying. 


I had always thought that excitement was something like an explosion, bursting in sparks and bright colours. Moving into adolescence, it dulled and darkened. As an adult, I’ve many times been afraid of excitement because I didn’t understand it. That it did not have to be an explosion. That sparks die out quickly and bright colours fade in the sunlight. 


This last few weeks, I’ve come to understand excitement in a very different way. Excited, I’ve had to follow a time-line for this next, and very likely, final move. I had not believed it could even be possible. The recent news projections about mortgage rate hikes in the future has not dampened my excitement. It has stayed with me, growing slowly from roots of experience and remembering. Instead of being afraid of excitement, I have savoured it each day with joy.


“It is never too late to relearn, to change and to get memories for life.”

~ Eva-Maria Hedlin, Scam Story













No comments: