Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Chapter Two, Episode 122 - Stepping Out - Situationally Theirs

Stepping Out 


Needing something to settle the tremors in his stomach, Matt asked for a glass of water. “Are you ok, Matt? You look so pale!” He had been fine before Dez opened the door. But when he saw her, her face clean and beautiful, he felt like he’d been punched. “I’m ok, just a little thirsty. Pretty hungry too.” Dez wasn’t sure she believed him, but had no choice but accept what he said. “Well then, I guess we’d better get going. Where are we going? You said something about a new place that’s opened in the city.”


Matt swallowed hard. “I’m not sure you’ll like it but I’ve heard their steaks are dynamite. And they have local musicians.” He had reserved their table and asked for something private or even a booth. “It’s a country and western grill, Dez. I know you and your sister like the symphony and other kinds of music, but I wanted to try this place out with you.” Holding his breath, he watched her face. “C&W! You’re kidding! Do you dance?” His stomach eased a bit to see her light up with excitement. He still had the evening ahead of him. “Sure I do. I like line dances and doing the country swing, anything. Haven’t been out dancing for a long, long time.” 


“Just a minute. I need to get something different to wear. I’ll be right back.” She was gone and back in a flash. “How do you like it?” She spun around like a school girl to show off the denim jacket. It was decorated with cacti and cactus flours in green, yellow and soft orange sequins. “I got this jacket years ago. I had travelled to New Mexico and brought this back with me. I never thought I’d wear it again. But tonight is perfect.” The words almost stuck in his throat. “It’s..it's nice. Looks good on you.” 


~~~~~


It was like stepping into another country. A big open room, with authentic old barn wood paneling, was finished with cow skulls, tack and lariats, paintings of fields of wheat, cattle grazing and old red barns. Hay bales were positioned around the bandstand, some on the edges of the dance floor. Dez and Matt were seated at a table in one corner, by the front window. The band was playing many of the country classics that Dez recognized. Merle Haggard, Tammy Wynette, Willie Nelson. She relaxed for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. Em would not have been comfortable here. “Thanks for bringing me here, Matt. I’ve been so caught up in my sister’s life that I forgot this other life out here.”


“So you really do like it here?” Matt hadn’t quite believed her excitement, relaxed a bit more. “Dez, here’s your food.” She looked up at the waiter with two big platters of steak and fries. “Wow! I don’t know if I can eat all that, Matt. There was a time when it wouldn’t have been enough. Would you be embarrassed if I can’t eat it all and take the rest home?” He just grinned. “Of course not, as long as you don’t mind it I do the same! We should have shared one order - but then people would talk about the old folks.” She laughed. “We’re not that old, Matt. Besides you’re older than me. And very mature.”


~~~~~

Lights had been turned low. Having eaten their fill, they asked for take away boxes. The waiter cleared their dishes away. Matt’s stomach was tightening again. This time he couldn’t say it was from hunger. He reached in his pocket, then thought better of it. “They’re playing our song, Dez. Come dance with me.” He stood and took her hand. She looked at him longingly. Not saying a word she stood close to him. As though they’d been dancing for years, they glided onto the floor to the gentle country swing. Dancing close, her hair tickled his nose. She nestled into his arms. “Matt - we don’t have a song. Do you even know this one?” She tipped her head back to see him watching her. “Well, we could pick this one. I’ll find out what it is and who plays it.” The music had stopped leaving them alone on the floor. “Come on, we’re being stared at.” Back at the table he waited for her to sit down. He got down on one knee. “Matt what are you doing? They’ve got janitors to pick things up off the floor! Or did you drop something?” He just looked up at her. “No, I found this in my pocket.” Awkwardly he handed her a little velvet box. “What’s this, Matt? What’s going on?” Now it was Dez’s turn to be nervous. She opened the little box. A simple gold band. She just stared at it. “Dez. …..Dez…..can we get married?” He hesitated. “Damn. That came out wrong……” He tried again. “Do you want to marry me?” He disappointed himself again. Big tears slid down Dez’s cheeks. “Of course I want to marry you, you crazy guy,” The room had gone quiet when people saw this 50 something man get down on one knee. Now it erupted in applause and the band struck up a wedding song.


“No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself.”

~ Virginia Woolf


 

No comments: