Pages

Sunday, May 7, 2023

Uncertain Futures


         Uncertain Futures

Sarah-Ann had seldom visited her Aunt Rita and Uncle Ralph in their home She was sure it would not be a pleasant visit, but she had to talk to someone. When she was at the front door, before she rang the doorbell, she carefully wiped the tears that wouldn’t stop. Desperate, she silently begged her eyes to stay dry. She could let that dam burst when she was alone again. Her hand had just left the doorbell, when it flew open and her favourite cousin, Philomena wrapped her in a big hug. Sarah-Ann had no choice but to hug her back, wanting to slump into cousin’s shoulder and sob. But she had to talk with the family first. In a shaky voice she spoke into her cousin’s shoulder “It’s so good to see you, Phil. I’m glad you’re home.” Philomena held her away from her. Sarah! What’s wrong?! You’ve been crying. Don’t tell me it’s just allergies. We see each other often enough that I know you.” Putting her arm around her shoulders, Phil led her into the house. “Mom! Mom! Sarah’s here and somethings wrong. We’re going into the living room.” Rita, involved in an online gardening lecture, excused herself from the lecture and quickly closed her computer. She joined the two girls in the living room. “What on earth is the matter Sarah-Ann? It must be something serious for you to be this upset. Are your parents all right?” All her niece could do is nod her head and stutter out “They’re ok, Aunt Rita. I’ll be all right now that you’re both here. Thank you.” She took a deep breath and  asked for a glass of water. “Of course, dear. Philomena, please get her a glass of water. There’s a pitcher of water in the fridge.” She turned to her niece and, smoothing her hair, said “Now, tell me what’s wrong. It must be something we can fix.” Sarah-Ann wasn’t sure about that, but it was so like her aunt to want to fix things. “I’ve lost my job, fired. They told me I was being paid too much and the boss was trimming his budget. Now I have to tell my parents and they never liked me working for that horrible man anyway. At least they thought he was horrible.” Rita patted her hand. Philomena gave her a glass of water. “Why did they think he was horrible?” Sarah dabbed her eyes. “Dad said he’s a crook. I didn’t want to believe him, but after working in accounting for  a while, I was beginning to agree with him.” Her eyes full of anxiety, she looked up at her aunt. “But I couldn’t afford to lose my job so I didn’t say anything. Now that I have, I’ll have to give up my apartment and my car and I don’t know where I’ll go. I can’t go back home and listen to my father tell my how right he was.” Sarah-Ann’s parents lived outside of the city on a small acreage and were not in Hartley very often. Rita had not seen her sister for quite sometime. The did have regular phone conversations, so she knew a little about Sarah-Ann’s work situation. She was right to come here first. In a word she didn’t use often, she knew her brother-in-law could be a real jerk. Her niece didn’t need his arrogant, obstinate attitude right now. She wouldn’t have been able to deal with it. “Well, honey, you stay here tonight. You girls can have a good chin wag. We’ll sort this all out. I may have some ideas that I’ll have to talk over with your Uncle Ralph. But call your mother and let her know where you are. You do have your cell phone with you? If you don’t, use our phone in the hall.” Philomena had been quiet while her mother calmed her cousin down. She agreed with her Uncle about Sarah’s employer, but had never said anything. She knew it wasn’t any of her business. She didn’t like to see her cousin like this though; it made her angry that this man would be more worried about the all mighty dollar and her cousin. Firing her without notice, not even time to know what to do next. Finally speaking up she asked “Are you getting any severance pay, Sarah?” Sarah looked bewildered. “Severance pay? I think he might have said something about it, but I was so shocked I just put my coat on, picked up my purse and walked out. I can email him or call him in the morning.” Philomena said “Come on up to my room and send off and email right now. You don’t want to let him think you’re going to let him off the hook about that!” Sarah followed her meekly to the stairs. “I don’t think it will be that much. Her cousin, who was half way up the stairs, turned to her. “It doesn’t matter home much. It’s the principle of the thing. Don’t let him get away with it. He may not let the union into his busIness, but I’m sure he wouldn’t like a law suit and some publicity for his “Going Out of Business” store ~  that’s been ‘Going out of Business’ for the last 15 years - while we were still in high school!” 

~~~~~


The two girls, both 30 and born one day apart, talked all evening only coming downstairs for dinner and later on for a late cup of hot cocoa. After they had torn Sarah’s boss to pieces, then written a very polite and professional email to him, they talked about Philomena’s trip all the way to Winnipeg, then about the boys they had crushes on in high school, best restaurants and the runs they used to share. Oscar, the family’s Blue Heeler, lay quietly on the floor, watching them both. He finally fell asleep but not so soundly that he wasn’t paying attention. Once in a while, one ear would perk up to some noise from outside or somewhere in the house. Then he’d settled again with a groan and dream about going for a run tomorrow with both girls. Philomena gave her cousin pyjamas to were and settled her in the spare room for the night…….where they talked more about their futures. 


“Girls, you’ve gotta know when it’s time to turn the page.”

~ Tori Amos, Tori Amos: From the Choirgirl Hotel


No comments: