Pages

Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Chapter Two, Episode 154 - Seasoning - Situationally Theirs

Seasoning


More paper work! Dez hated paperwork. She could her mother saying “Desperanza, you shouldn’t hate anything, dear.” But she did hate paperwork. She and her sister had first searched for the location of the B.C.Fruit company, but it was only on the mainland. If Matt sold his fruit there then he must have paid a bundle for shipping them on the ferry. There were different cooperatives up and down the Island, but no B.C. Fruit company. She knew shipping anything involved paperwork and that did not make her happy. “Are you sure that’s what he said, Dez?” 


“I wrote it in my iPad as soon as it came out of his mouth. Maybe he just made a mistake.”


The two women were pursuing a way for the Estate to make some money. Emelina had learned that the trust fund Michael had left her was being stretched uncomfortably thin. If they could get the orchard producing more next year, it just might help. Not necessarily save them, but help. Dez had talked with her about ‘Farm Gate sales’. It would mean more work for Samuel and he seemed to be slowing down. Would they be able to hire someone to work with him? She hadn’t broached that yet. Now this. Which of the cooperatives would they approach? It would have to be the nearest one, just because of gas. They’d need vehicles to transport the fruit - or would the cooperatives want their own? “This is giving me a headache, Em. It’s a good thing it’s the end of the season. We’ll have all winter to get organized.”


Emelina laughed. “Knowing you, I’ll have to give you a plan to follow or you’ll just curl up and forget that spring does get here!” She hugged her sister. “We don’t have to get it all set today, just  start a plan with days and times to get it done. Including orchard work. I don’t know what needs doing. Samuel talks about pruning and cleaning up the orchard.” Dez relaxed. “You’re right, Em. I guess I was getting ahead of myself. And worried about me not being a help but a hindrance to you. Let’s go for lunch and look at all these brochures.”


~~~~~


Over lunch, Em assured her sister that she had been a help for most of the time they had been back together. “It was just those first days of the pandemic when you were just bossy and grumpy.”


“That was pretty rude wasn’t it. You picked me up in the middle of the night, took me into your home, gave me whatever I needed without a complaint.” The sisters laughed over all the silly things they had done. Just like back in their teenage years in their shared bedroom at home. “I think that if we could get over that, we can handle this.” Dez took a big drink of her water. “So what do you think about the Farm Gate idea? We wouldn’t have much produce right away. We’ll have to talk to Samuel about that too. We may be able to sell some of our flowers as they come up. I know he doesn’t think much about flowers, but if it helps pay for his vegetables, he may think differently.”


Emelina put her sandwich down and looked out the window. She turned back to Dez. “You know, I think I like becoming a farmer. I don’t know that I’ll be much good at it, but with everyone’s help we can make a real go of it.” She hesitated, picked up her sandwich again, and smiled. “Maybe we could even get chickens and we’d have eggs to sell.”


“Whoa, Em! Let’s not get carried away…….although………you may have a good idea. Put that on your list of things to do. You’d have to be in charge of that because I’m doing the orchard. Who would be at the Farm Gate stand when it was time?” She beckoned the waiter over. “Could I please have some coffee, cream and sugar..Em do you want some?.....And for my sister as well. Thanks” 


“The other people we have to get involved are Cook and Martha. I suspect Cook will be worried that we’ll sell all the tomatoes before she can get her hands on them.” Dez’s face lit up. “We could have special days for selling some of her baking! I hope she’s not looking at retiring.”


~~~~~


At the end of the day, their planning had turned to dreaming about what could be. The actual work that would go into those dreams was a minor detail. Dez had worked the orchard for a over a year and knew that besides painting, she belonged with the apple trees and honey bees. Em, just in talking with Dez, had also found a place she never had considered before. Excited about growing food, selling food, donating food, being involved in the farming community..... she felt more alive than she had in a long time. To share their dream was icing on the cake.


“Farming is not just a job. It’s a responsibility and a privilege.”

~ Joel Watson


No comments: