Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Any Flat Surface

Book shelves are not necessary, books will stack up where ever they land. On the dining room table, the top of the fridge, any flat surface will do. In a pinch the floor will even work. Books aren’t even really necessary with everything now digital and on line. Removing all the books from my home just seems wrong. I do know that most of them I have read just once. There are a few I’ve read many times. Some of my cookbooks have travelled with me for over fifty years. I have a book from high school English that two of my sisters used. It's battered, the cover barely hanging on, the content is not acceptable today, but was for its time. There is a certain dedication owning books. Could be just a habit from so many Christmas and birthday gifts. I do love the feel of holding a book as I read. I have tried audible books, digital books but I always return to the real solid paper and ink books. Two covers, a story, an autobiography, some form of non-fiction that holds my interest and feeds my curiosity. Beautiful artistry on book covers, a blurb on the back and the jacket cover. Quotations from other authors, friends or newspapers. There is more to a book than the flat surface it sits on.


“She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.”

~ Louisa May Alcott


 

No comments: