Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2023

A Good Start

Cooking with Potatoes is the beginning of another creative journey. This is not the cookbook I had planned to begin with, but I have an overabundance of the starchy spuds! So I melded two goals together - use up the potatoes and begin my at home cooking lessons. I began with Potato & Meatballs in Spicy Sauce. Despite the name, the potatoes, the starchy element, are mixed with meat and spices.


I have been cooking from childhood til today. One of my early kitchen memories is watching mom or one of my sisters preparing and cooking food. I don’t often use recipes, even though I have more cookbooks than I need. Tonight, I followed the recipe, almost perfectly. I have potatoes, just not mealy potatoes which the recipe called for. The meatballs should have been made smaller than I made them. So, while the flavours were delicious, the meatballs fell apart. Not a bad start, just a lesson learned. Don’t overcook the potatoes - get’s rid of all the starch needed to bind the meat.


The result was my supper, as well as two freezer meals. A good start!


“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, 

he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow.”

~ A.A.Milne

No comments: