Pages

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Resurrection: Cooking Lessons

Fancy footwork has been needed this last ten days. Christmas preparations, dinners, New Years festivities, but that’s not the only thing that has consumed my life. For years I have talked about wanting to take a Cooking course, but have never pursued it. I actually love being home, and I need to eat. Well, I like to eat. After years of watching cooking shows and gathering cookbooks, I am moving forward with at home, self taught lessons. That would satisfy all three: being at home, cooking lessons, and eating. The danger? I’ll need to buy a new wardrobe. In the last week or so, I have cooked something different each day. Some from google, the rest from my cookbooks, including handwritten recipes I have been given or are from google. One goal is to use my books as much as possible, but online is important to answer many questions - and to get a recipe in a hurry! As life slows down, I’ll get better at using my cook books.


Today: Home made chilli from my freezer - (a google recipe from two years ago)

New Years Day: Norwegian Silver Dollar Pancakes (Scandinavian Gatherings - a Christmas gift.

New Years Eve: Pan boiled potatoes (Jacque Pépin - Facebook) - a happy accident as I was scrolling.

Before that:

Potato Scones: from Cooking with Potatoes by Jenny Stacy

Bread pudding from Better Homes and Gardens new Cookbook, from the late 1960’s

Muffins: (google)

Christmas Coleslaw - another google recipe in a hurry

Devilled Eggs - another google recipe in a hurry


My very loose schedule: 

Writing projects in the morning

Cooking ‘lesson’ in the afternoon/evening

Writing in the evening


The fancy footwork?

Family, friends, living and reading in-between - ‘cause I’m not giving any of those up!!


“No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, 

a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations 

of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, 

the wisdom of cookbook writers.”

~ Laurie Colwin

 

No comments: