Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Going for Groceries

Going for groceries Friday at three,
strolling down aisles, I can choose what please.
After decades of practice, I’ve learned to stay 
on aisles outside where freshness holds sway.
Inside this circle, shelves tempt me, I know,
with bread, jam, honey, and cookies - oh no!
Quick! I can steer to the aisle for a mop,
for toothpaste, soap, then a tin of cold pop.
Alas, there are goodies galore like ice cream.
The stores are so bright; the food is so clean!
I can get cereal, creamer and dark roast coffee, 
and of course in that aisle I can pick up some tea.
After Friday if needing milk, flour or sugar
I can stroll to the store or drive in my car
for an apple, an orange or maybe a steak
to get what seems missing from off of my plate.

"The test of our progress is not whether we add to the abundance of those 
who have much. It is whether we provide enough to those who have little."
~  Franklin D, Roosevelt

No comments: