Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Employment vs Days off

"Fruits of Labour"
Hazeldell Orchards Fruit Stand
Kelowna, B.C.



“I wish I didn’t have to be at work today”
A phrase oft heard and wondered about.
There are 
schedules
tasks 
duties
within our
jobs
employment
careers
quite boring and tedious at times.

I would like to say
‘be grateful for that job’
‘that pay cheque pays for life outside of work’

But what about those that must work at 
any job
seasonal or not
dead end or not
interesting or not
just to put food on the table
keep a roof over their heads
in sickness and in health

or those who do not have a job
for many, many reasons
but still need to have food on the table
keep a roof over their heads
in sickness and in health.

Have I ever said 
“I wish I didn’t have to be at work today”?
I am certain I have.
Likely because
a sunshine-y blue sky beckoned
outside interests called me
personality conflicts at my workplace pushed me away
or maybe I was just tired:
physically
mentally
emotionally
spiritually

I wonder if anyone has ever said:
“I wish I didn’t have to stay away from work today”?

Days off from paid employment are employed by
work and fun with family, friends and community
opportunities to develop a personal life to
warm one's heart and free one's mind 
from the blinders of dulling routine
creating a life from all available.

“Family and work. Family and work. I can let them be at war, 
with guilt as their nuclear weapon and mutually assured 
destruction as their aim, or I can let them nourish each other.”
~ Ellen Gilchrist, The Writing Life

No comments: