Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Victimization Traps

I was trapped.

Trapped by the mirror that held me.
I moved to the side and my image was split

I stepped away 
Stepped away from the mirror that held me
My eyes saw a whole new world

I was trapped
Trapped by the situation that held me
Head down, I moved when I was told

Then when I held my head up
just for a moment 
I saw myself in the mirror and smiled.

I saw in my eyes
tired sadness and
strength

I longed to see
joyous energy and
strength

I picked up the mirror
and shoved it aside 
so there was room for me to go.

I stepped past that mirror
Stepped cautiously onto a grand new world
My heart beating ever so fast.

I lifted my head and picked myself up, 
left behind the situation that held me
and forward I moved where I chose.

"This above all.  Refuse to be a victim."
 ~ Margaret Atwood

No comments: