Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Writer in Residence


Prologue:  
I am Writer in Residence, 
at my own address 
I am employer, employee 
and all the rest!
~~~~~
'Twas a game I began some years ago ~
Elegantly naming this hobby of mine,
for beginnings or middles or ends on the go.
Just playing at word games of any old kind.

I knew how to write.
I learned that in Grade Two
Essays in high school I wrote late at night!
Nursing school, university ~ more writing to do.

But learning to write so that stories made sense,
was a task I was not quite sure of it’s look.
My curriculum was established with classes and texts
from workshops, seminars and all kinds of books.

I've learned that to keep up this hobby I love
I need - no I like - labels, order and space
My secret - you won’t tell? - is to raise up up above
this hobby of mine and give it a more solid place.

I keep track of my hours and pay when I can,
for this Writer in Residence needs a budget to keep.
For pens, paper, journals and books close at hand,
to be Writer in Residence, I dig very deep.

So you see when I write in my blog each night,
stories and poems or just rambling on,
I’m that Writer in Residence still learning to write
and blessed to have readers like you that read on.

Thank you.

“Exercise the writing muscle every day, even if it is only a letter, 
notes,a title list, a character sketch, a journal entry. Writers are like 
dancers, like athletes. Without that exercise, the muscles seize up.”
 ~ Jane Yolen

No comments: