Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Where are My Roots?

The things that we
can see and touch
have lived and worked with
have played and slept with
erode with time and life events.
We carry the memories that they hold within them
as we spread ourselves to the four winds

Where are my roots?
They are 
in a wide prairie grain field,
in the hands and hearts that worked the soil.
They are 
in my childhood home
and the hands and hearts that grew my family.

Roots grow downwards and crawl sideways 
traveling with the moisture,
looking for the light.
Plants grow up through soil
soft and friable or
hard baked and cracked
but they will grow.

We each are part of the great roots that we seek
In the shade of my past, I dig up my roots.
In the sun of the present 
I see them more clearly as perspiration 
drips down my forehead 
runs down my face.
The future lingers in
the glare of the sun
or the deep darkness of a moonless night.

Fate and circumstance define 
the existence of my roots with
each child that is born,
each life that grows strong
with each family story that is shared.


"I will continue my path, but I will keep a memory always."
~ Rosie Thomas, Iris and Ruby


No comments: