Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Anything



Anything comes to me

like waves gently 
lapping in my soul, 
trickling silty sand 
through my fingers
directing the word flow gently.
Rounded pen point caressing the page.

Anything is an image
a flower,
a waterfall

Anything is a sound 
crashing, jangling
tiny, soft

Anything is a feeling
calmness,
rage,
excitement or
love

~~~~~

Anything is seldom nothing.
Except when so far in the distance
that only slight movement gives it away.
Anything's sound is buried in layers of far away.

Anything does not come when called,
only looks and stares
like a cat questioning
my audacity at calling its name.

Anything
curls up on my lap when I am sitting 
to dream 
to watch television

Anything
rains on my head when I’m in the shower
rises from garden soil clinging to roots and rocks

Anything 
drifts through my thoughts busy with the days tasks,
distracting me from the should’s and shouldn’t’s in front of me

Anything surrounds me
warm, cold or intemperate
waiting to be recognized.

Recognition will grow anything
into something.

“Let us not look back in anger, not forward in fear,
but around in awareness.”
~ James Thurber

**The first five lines were written as part of a workshop exercise about ‘anything’:  in group discussion following the reading, it was suggested that these lines ‘do not belong’ or ‘sound separate from’ the lines to follow
Nov.21, 2023: I recall the group meeting and the suggestion from the group discussion. I re-read this today and disagree with the group consensus. This has shown me how readers actually finish a piece of writing. I have included a line break today for clarity.