Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fault Lines

Earthquakes!
Tornadoes!
Forest Fires!
Disasters all!
Homes and hearts torn asunder leaving precious things lost and scattered.

I’ve seen them all from a distance, and fortunately have never met one face to face.
And I’ve been afraid, or sometimes just concerned ~ 
aware of the destruction wrought on so many.

For a pleasant half hour, I gazed through 
pictures on my computer
dear faces of so many family and friends ~
weddings and parties
just pictures
newborns and farewells
growing children (some not so child-like anymore)

Daring to go into my photograph albums and
the great box of pictures full of such rich family history
would involve much more than a half an hour.

Individual paths may take us far from each other ~ geographically,
yet there is always a path that 
leads family and friends to find each other once more.

What do I fear most from any disaster?
It is only that I will never ~ with family or friend
hold a familiar hand
wrap hugs together in joy or sorrow
kiss a tear away
share a smile, a laugh,
brush a wisp of hair from a brow.

Have there been disasters of the heart that
race and tear through my own
families and the families of my friends?

Of course there have.
Monstrous disasters run along generational fault lines.
Smaller dissatisfactions chip away at the same 
fault lines that burrow through our foundations.
But the family roots, and the roots of friendships grow deep
with love and support keeping us all 
whole and connected to each other ~
even if from a distance.

“Invisible threads are the strongest ties.”
~ Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments: