Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

Abundantly Pleasing

What do I write about tonight?
Hurricane Sandi in the east? 
Western earthquake threats?

Or about the tiny little niggling guilt that I felt when I decided to make my meal from several plain choices and a few spices in my kitchen, just because  I didn’t want to dip into available funds.

After all the grocery store is only 
a quick drive away and well stocked, 
the car is gassed up, and weather's ok.

I’ve never really bought into the parental guilt trip:
‘What about the hungry kids?’ for cleaning up my plate.
Could that be a reason - clean out your fridge first?
That guilt trip really has never been a problem ~ that I remember anyway.

However the reality is that many individuals have more of everything than ‘the hungry kids’ and their entire families.

Another more important reason ~
The challenge of creating something tasty out of disparate sorts of things, without resorting to the fall back of the grocery store!

Why did I feel this strange poke of guilt?
It felt as though I were making a ‘poor man’s meal’
when, in a few minutes, I could have 
something more
something different
to suit my wavering desire.

“Not what we have, but what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance.”
~ Epicurus

No comments: