Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

It is Only Air

Thirty-five years ago 
at the approximate time of this writing
I was in The Carvery Restaurant, in Regina, 
enjoying steak with Gary, Sharon and Danny.
It was here I had my second to last cigarette.
(My last was in 1986 ~ another story)

For thirty-five years now, 
my lungs have not been clouded by cigarette smoke (except for that one day)

Why did I even want to quit smoking?
Was it fear of cancer ~ heart disease?
Nothing so grand ~
Money ~ too darn much going up in smoke (pardon the pun).
Clear air around myself, my family, my friends for clarity and presence.
Smoke-free clothes, walls and windows for a much brighter world
Clean ashtrays ~ so stinky! (No ashtrays to clean!)
All of those things added up 
becoming more important to me 
than the pleasure from just one cigarette.

It does only take one, you know.
It was not the first time I quit smoking
nor the second
nor even the third.

It was staying stopped that was difficult
in a society where smoking was 
much more of a norm than it is today

With no intent to quit smoking forever 
when I began this little side trip,
and still no intent to quit smoking forever
I will put off having that 'just one more' cigarette for today.....

                         ***




Thirty-five years of no smoking 
has changed the very air that I breathe.

So I have an anniversary today ~
neither momentous nor earth shattering
After all, it is only air.








“All things share the same breath ~ the beast, the tree, the man..
the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports.”
~ Chief Seattle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't even know! Your sneaky fer sher! Little Fox!!!