Pages

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Reality as a Blessing


Reality as a Blessing

The fire burned low in the hearth. Darkness had long since settled all around. Crunching snow under my boots, now lay dripping wet at the door, and was all but a memory. Dregs of hot chocolate lay damp in my Christmas mug, the last sweet taste of a quiet day in our little log cabin. Reality, the long sought after and much abused worklife, would return in the morning. Details of the world built with our own heads, hands and hearts would continue to furnish our family’s needs, many 'wants' and many things to share with others.

But tomorrow was not yet here and my pillow called. My old dog, Andy, was already curled up on the braided rug by my bed. My wife and children ‘all snug in their beds’ had eaten more sugar plums than their tummies really wanted. Putting my book away, letting the fire die out and checking that doors and windows were closed and locked, I climbed the stairs up to bed.

“Sometimes we focus so much on what we don’t have
that we fail to see, appreciate, and use what we do have!”
~ Jeff Dixon

No comments: