Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

Nostalgia vs Reality

October, 2012 - not much different than this morning.

December 27, 2013    
Rain, rain, rain......
Still foreign 
Out of place in memory
If I close my eyes
let myself feel the chill ~
wild wind whistles me to broad flat prairies

Through slits between lashes
rain lashes umbrellas
hovers over dogs and their masters leaning 
raincoats slick with cold splashes blown beneath.

Shoveling not required
Snowman patrols missing from yards and parks
Crunchy fun of making snow angels replaced by silty cold water
Snow ball fights? Experience wanted.

In the recesses of my mind
guilty whispers demand
‘If you miss it so much why don’t you return?’
‘In reality, who would do winter’s work?’
Replies as infrequent as snow days leave me wondering.......

                            “Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson; you find 
the present tense, but the past perfect!”
~ Owens Lee Pomeroy

No comments: